Welcome to Emerald's Homepage
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Stuffed Ampalaya (Stuffed Bittergourds)


Description:
For my dear contacts who like to collect my recipes, here's another one for you to try out! Some of you may not like the "bitter" taste of this year-round vegetable, but I urge you to try this one---your dislike of it may yet change once you have tasted this one. Plus, I can share a tip that takes away the bitterness of ampalayas. and make it really colorful green!!!

Ingredients:
FILLING:
3-4 bittergourds (the bigger, the better)
1 cup diced fresh shrimps
1-1/2 cup diced fresh or canned oyster (optional only)
1 cup diced pork fat (only the fat part)
1/2 cup water chestnut (canned or fresh)
1/2 cup diced button mushroom
4 tbsps light soy sauce
4 tbsps chinese rice wine (or any kind of cooking wine)
2 tbsps sesame oil
freshly ground pepper
some salt and seasoning (aji, Mrs. Dash, etc.)
2 tbsps cornflour (not cornstarch please!!!!)

SAUCE:
cooking oil (canola, vegetable, olive-your preference)
2 tbsps very finely chopped ginger
2 tsps. minced garlic
2 tbsps oyster sauce
1/4 c. chicken stock
2 tsps light soy sauce
2 tsps dark soy sauce

Directions:
-Cut off the ends of the gourds, and using a slim knife, carefully remove all the seeds. Blanch for 3 minutes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water, then refresh with iced water and pat very dry.
-Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl...cover and set aside for 10-15 minutes before stuffing into the gourds.
-place the gourds in a steamer and cook for 15-20 minutes, then allow to cool slightly before cutting into serving size pieces.
-transfer into a serving platter and coat with the sauce.

-To make the sauce, heat oil in a small pan and saute ginger and garlic.
-Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and stock and bring to a boil.
-lower heat and simmer for 3-4 more minutes...
-add the cornflour and stir until the sauce slightly thickens.

15 comments:

  1. hello Lita...I'm a BIG fan of ampalaya. I'm soooo happy about your recipe and can't wait to try it out. It already sounds good. Bu the way I'm the first cousin of Shintaro and I reside in cebu.

    I will let you know the feed back soonest I make it...I know it will be a surprise for my family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how nice to hear from someone in Cebu---thanks for visiting my site and come back as you please. I am also glad that you like ampalaya! Do you know that Ampalaya is also good "pickled?" I served this once in my catering days and got raves for it! Is that you child with you in the picture!
    Cute....of course you know that joyfulnoise27 is my daughter, Anne's site-who is also Shintaro's contact. Let me know how you made your surprise!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my wife loves ampalaya.. actually most of my family does.. its just too bitter for me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then you should try this recipe, if only to please her for gifting you with Anthony Sheldon!!! There are some varieties of ampalaya that are not so bitter---get the ones that have the most "kulubot"...these are less bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ampalaya!
    I don't blanch them that is why it comes out too bitter. Thank you Lita, I love to try all your recipes. Thank you for the tips also, "buy the kulubot one, right"? Are you talking about the short ones? Because they're all kulubot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I mean ampalayas with big kulubots---mas malaki---mas not bitter.
    Small ampalayas are really bitter---that includes long ampalayas but with smaller kulubots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how nice to hear from someone in Cebu---thanks for visiting my site and come back as you please. I am also glad that you like ampalaya! Do you know that Ampalaya is also good "pickled?" I served this once in my catering days and got raves for it! Is that you child with you in the picture!
    Cute....of course you know that joyfulnoise27 is my daughter, Anne's site-who is also Shintaro's contact. Let me know how you made your surprise!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then you should try this recipe, if only to please her for gifting you with Anthony Sheldon!!! There are some varieties of ampalaya that are not so bitter---get the ones that have the most "kulubot"...these are less bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my all this talk about KULOBOT just cracks me up...the word itself sounds too funny diba. Ayan kanina we went to mass and then the grocery I was able to buy the ingredients for the Stuffed Ampalaya I'm cooking it for tomorow's lunch, and I will let you know the comments.

    Tita Lita, that is my grandaughter Carmina whom we call Mika with me in the picture. I have 2 grand kids...MY JOY!!!! I have another one the older brother of Mika Enzo who is turning 4 years old this July.

    I will surely collect your very unique recipes....@#%*)<"santol thingee na guisado with gata....well that is next on my "what's for lunch on Sunday" as my son-in-law always asks me. He loves unusual recipes and he loves to eat. Wag kang magsasawa huh to post recipes. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look so young to have grandkids---but yes, I agree, they are joy to have, as much I consider my own 2 grandkids with Anne.

    I am sure you will do the well in your cooking---collecting them means---you enjoy doing them too. Yes the kulubot is such a funny term I posted, but I can't think of an English word for them.

    And yes, I will continue to post Filipino dishes (altho I also do a lot of spanish and american dishes too) cause I noticed that msot of the readers still prefer cooking our very own! And if you want to learn any other dish, even if I have not posted them yet, let me know and I am to post it for you with pleasure! (I used to cater kasi, plus owned my own restaurant and cafeteria concessions--that's why I love cooking)!!!

    More to come.......!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What happened to the picture? It's missing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. with all this recipes from you lita.. im going to get bigger than what i am now.. pic of my fav hangout spots.. chinese restaurants.. hehehe


    ReplyDelete
  13. Will change it - I asked Anne to look for something else---don't worry, she will post again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ay Arvin, di ka naman malaki---mas marami pang bigger than you...besides-bagay naman---thanks---hope your baby's doing well, (and the mother too)

    ReplyDelete