Welcome to Emerald's Homepage
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Adobo w/ a Twist


Description:
Coconut Milk Galore-----one more super good dish which is considred the :banner dish" of Filipinos but this time, done with a little touch of novelty--adding coco milk!

Ingredients:
2 pounds chicken breast and tighs, skinless
2 pounds pork cutlets, remove skin
2 cups of mild vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1 cup of dark soy sauce
1 tsp black peppercorn
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (fresly ground tastes better)
1/4 salt (or according to your preference)
1 can of coconut milk diluted with 1/2 cup water
1 can of pure coconut milk
1/2 cup of water
seasonings - aji or Mrs Dash
Lots of pounded fresh garlic for the marinade
3-4 pcs of bayleaf (tear up the dried leaves for more flavor)
1 tbsp toasted garlic chunks (available in supermarkets)

.



Directions:
Marinate the meat pieces in this mixture preferably overnight, or at least 2-3 hours before cooking.

Boil the mixture together with the meat in a stock pan.
Let boil for at leaast 5 minutes and slightly lower fire.
Turn the meat every now and then to have an even coating.
Add the 2nd can of coconut milk
Continue simmering until the sauce thickens with a curd-like consistency. This is called cooking by reduction.

Note: You may have to set aside the chicken pieces ahead as they tend to tenderize earlier than the pork cutlets, but return at least 5 minutes before you completely turn off the fire.

When serving - garnish w/ the toasted garlic chunks and sliced tomato on the side.

5 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this one first, because I can access all the ingredients easily. Your recipes are very interesting Lita! Again I never heard of Adobo with gata!
    Yes! yummy!
    Thanks Lita! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy cooking---yeah try them all...naku napakarami kong collection at tried and tested lahat ito..plus I really change and innovate...may personal touch ko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. with all the recipes lita you can open up your own pinoy restaurant... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a matter of fact, I did own one in Manila - it was called "Mangkok" - a traditional Filipino name for the soup bowl...not many know this though...plus I ran cafeterias (San Miguel Corp-Phil Deposit Insurance Corp - Lane Moving - Richardson Vicks (before I became the EA to the President there). Cooking is my passon - and I did all my businesses while working too---it was a family member who I designated to be the caretaker---but I managed it as far as finances - menu---and joined biddings. Nakakapagod lang---and I have been collecting all kinds of recipes since I was 8 - kaya ang bahay namin - clubhouse ng pamilya during special occasions...sarap ngang magluto eh---esp. pag ubos ang niluto

    Then I ventured in catering --after becoming a catering manager of Mario's Fine Dining....Yani also worked there as Dining Manager --then Anne used to be the Food & Beverage Manager of Benihana, Hotel Nikko Manila Garden - after being in HR naman of Westin Phil Plaza and Tamarind Grill...

    So lahat kami sa pagkain nagkahilig---kaya naku---ako lang ang lumobo!!! But I manage to diet whenever!

    When my children will like a certain course---dadalhin ako doon and just one taste, I will know what went with it.

    That is why this love for cooking rubbed on to Anne and Yani--who still has one business started when I was still there---it is still called Lola Lita's Barbeque and Grilled Specialties....

    Pero wala akong tiyaga to bake---mas gusto kong bumili---but I like doing no-bake desserts....Si Anne and Yani also owned a bakeshop---Pies & Tarts---and enjoyed baking too---sus ang dami naming experiences sa food business---

    Then nagsawa ako---so heto na ako--balik America!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nowadays, I'd rather be a teacher again, hahaha! Ataw ko nang mag-pagkain, kumakati ang nose ko! Really, I've developed an allergy to somewhere when smelling food...

    And besides, the kids are here, and so my teaching skills are put to better use, haha!!!

    ReplyDelete