Welcome to Emerald's Homepage
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Again, a matchmaker!

Last night, after work, Rick and I dined at the Apple Bees.  Manuel,  co-worker from Guatemala, was very interested to formally meet  Lani, a part timer from the Philippines who got her job as my recommendee.  So, I played matchmaker.  Manuel is unattached, while Lani is a single mother to an 8 year old boy. Manuel has been in the U.S. for 8 years, while Lani migrated to the U.S. 7 years aga, together with her parents and son.

When Manuel invited Lani to dinner, she would not agree unless "Tita Lita" goes with her. Naturally, I could not say no as Manuel concurred that by all means I can join them.  I said I will on one condition, that I bring Rick with me.  I hate to leave my husband  by his lonesome while I am having a good dinner elsewhere.  I planned to leave the 2 of them by themselves while Rick and I will be in another table.  But Rick said it is not a good idea as it would appear that I lied and Lani may not like my idea. 

Rick and I went ahead, soon Manuel followed, and so did Lani.  She had to wind up her work first and asked Manuel to go ahead to meet us.  Over dinner, Rick regaled the 2 with his 9-11 experiences (yes he was in NY about 4 blocks from the twin towers). 

After about 2 hours later, Rick and I decided to leave ahead to give them the time to be by themselves.  I think they make a good pair to which Rick agreed. 

Well, I have done my part and it is entirely up to Manuel/Lani to give an ending to what I started. Would you believe that I am always asked by Western acquaintances and friends to matchmake for them?  Filipinas/Filipinos are in demand--for we are known to be caring and loyal, I guess....plus educated and good homemakers.  Hmmm...let me see...who can I matchmake next?  Is anyone out there interested?  Drop me a line!


8 comments:

  1. Kakakilig naman. By the way how's the weather there? Saw on CNN its been rainning and thought your place might be getting "baha"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep you in mind if I run accross single people. hehe..

    It's a good thing Rick survived the 9-11. Did he work in New York then?

    Thanks for sharing Lita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carmen:

    The weather has been crazy since last week---strong rains, then stops, then sun peeps --then showers, thunderstorms, etc. But I am so used to those kind of weather...my husband (and my co-workers) are not---little rain and they say its a storm---hay naku, I tell them---punta ka yo sa Pinas and experience real storms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Angie. Rick worked as Vice President for a stock transfer company in lower Manhattan--and its a kinda specialized profession---but he has left that company and looking for a company to move into.. He does part time meanwhile cause his line of work is hard to find. Thanks also for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, forgot to add---yes, let me know kahit na sa atin sa Philippines---madami akong puwedeng i-reto---at puro mababait.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so true noh Tita Litz...masaya pa nga tayo pag heavy rains kasi malamig ang panahon at of course Champorado at tuyo/dilis ang merienda. I remember my Lola cooked champorado with the batidor and at the end of cooking the champorado she would add in GATA. eh ngayon I cook champorado from the pack. Okay lang my daughter raves over it..she is not missing anything di naman yan nakatikim ng tunay na champorado. But I thinkof it every now and then...and my departed Lola Tale "Catalina"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also learned a lot of cooking tips and other stuff from my dear departed grandmas...and these days if I use it..my children will say, I am so "baduy" but as they mature---they see the wisdom of following what our oldies did.

    My leche flan is something that I learned from my Lola Sepa--who cooked it using in an old fashioned, intricate way...but hearing the raves on the finished product..I knew I had to follow her style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that word "BADUY" brings back memories...tagal ko na yang hindi narinig ah. Actually I got my first 'palengke" experience from my Lola Tale...my dad and mom would drop me off to her house in Blumenttrit,Manila every weekend and she would rouse me from sleep even before the cocks crow...i used to hate it I was only 8 yrs. old when this ritual started and lasted till I was 12, and during summer vacations nandoon ako sa kanya laboring away...pang susulse ng kumot,cortina,mantel,throw pillow hand towels,pag patay ng manok pag salin ng dugo sa bigas ....Oh thank God for those memories...which our kids will never experience...hay baduy nga ito sa kanila or now a days its called... yeeeeewww!!!! buhay nga naman. Saya-saya

    ReplyDelete