Welcome to Emerald's Homepage
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Thursday, August 3, 2006

Pinoy Superstitions

Last night, Rick surprised me with a new pair of closed -toe step-ins....and he knows the kind I like. Nothing expensive, but, of course,  I appreciated his gesture very much.  I never realized that he has been noticing that I keep on wearing the almost worn-out same black step ins frequently. I am no "Imelda Marcos" but I do have several pairs of shoes in various colors: black, white, beige, red, and pink. Yet, I am sure dear readers that we do have preferences in our wardrobes to the point that oftentimes we never care to wear or use some things we have bought and end up giving them away. 


Rick once asked me why my "step ins"  seem so worn out, yet I keep on wearing them...and I told him matter-of-factly that they were once sling backs, that one day, when the left shoe sling snapped beyond repair, I cut the right foot's sling to make it even.  That "magic" converted the shoes into step ins...and really no one can know the difference.  Not that I can't afford to buy a new pair---but I like the comfort  and its fit.


After dinner, I told Rick it was once my practice to "pay" anyone who gifts me with any footwear...he asked why was there a need to do that (I think this is the 2nd time he has given me a new pair of shoes).  I explained that --that practice was a Filipino superstitious belief so that the giver and the recipient will not quarrel, fight, argue, separate, etc. ...My Christian belief has made me shed off a lot of supertitious beliefs that I practiced before becoming a Christian. Then upon his asking, I enumerated a lot of our typical Pinoy superstitious beliefs:


-Do not sweep the floors at night - one's fortunes will be swept away


- Do not sing while cooking (in front of a stove) - the person will be an old maid


- Turning one's plate a full circle when someone leaves and goes out of the door - the person who left will have bad luck.


- Never position your bed with your feet towards the door - bad luck for the bed user.


- Never build a house that runs right into a street end - the inhabitants will have bad luck.


- Never position your house entrance stairs straight out to the street - fortune goes out!


- Your flight of stairs must not end in a "mata" - as you count oro, plata, mata


- It is bad luck to see a black butterfly (bad luck)


- Do not have or plant the Kalachuchi flowering tree in front of your house (bad luck)


- It is good fortune to have the Makopa tree in front of your house (good luck)


- Wear polka dotted dress/shirt on New Year's Eve - good fortune


- Have rounded fruits on the dining table on New Year's eve


And so on, and so on-----that I can fill up a whole page if I listed them all!


Well, we all know that one's fate is entirely and absolutely up to our Creator---but we still have a lot of kababayans who believe in these superstitions---  I don't anymore...


Do you? - I hope not!


 


 


 


 

17 comments:

  1. and you know whats the worst superstition I heard? That never cut your fingernails on Tuesdays and Thursdays, cause it will be bad luck for the whole week...funny isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I turn my plate. I'm not so sure if I believe but I do it anyway;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply, Honiepie...what's worse was--I remember now--my lola was always cautioning me (us, in the family) never to take a bath on good friday---good grief! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ay Angie, the fact that you do it, means you believe in it! O well---there are still a lot more "crazier" beliefs that I can't remember anymore!

    Your climate there is much better than what we have here in NJ---ang laki rin ng electric bill ninyo--but we can't do away with running it 24/7 like you said.

    I don't think I can stand Manila's heat anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Honeypie" is my friend, Juliet! She's a nice lady, and may anak din siya na little boy. :o) Why don't you invite her to be a friend, Mom? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Juliet!

    That's my Mom you visited there! I told her na sana maging mag-contacts din kayo, hahaha! :o)


    'Musta na, friend?
    Anne :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very nice blog entry. Hope you can write more to minister in a way to others.

    For us, only the Bible is the one and only, truly infallible standard we should obey and follow...

    Like what it says in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 ---
    "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

    So di na tayo talaga dapat maniwala dyan sa mga superstitions na ganyan, kahit pa sa karma din, w/c is a Hindu belief, or sa luck din... We believe in blessings only dapat...

    And to correct things or unbibical beliefs, Ma, gamitin mo ang Bible to reason in everything too. Iyan din ang training ni Migs in VCS---the ability to reason from the Bible to every aspect of life. Otherwise known as "The Principle Approach".

    Since God is the Creator of all things, His word is the Ultimate Source of all knowledge.

    Nice entry, hope you'd write more of how much a Christian you are now. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very nice blog entry. Hope you can write more to minister in a way to others.

    We respect other people's beliefs and practices.

    But for us -- Yani, I and the 2 kids, only the Bible is the one and only, truly infallible standard we obey and follow...

    Like what it says in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 ---
    "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

    So di na tayo talaga dapat maniwala dyan sa mga superstitions na ganyan, kahit pa sa karma din, w/c is a Hindu belief, or sa luck din... We believe in blessings only dapat...

    And to correct things or unbiblical beliefs, we use the Bible to reason in everything too. Iyan din ang training ni Migs in VCS---the ability to reason from the Bible to every aspect of life. Otherwise known as "The Principle Approach".

    Since God is the Creator of all things, His word is the Ultimate Source of all knowledge.

    Nice entry, hope you'd write more of how much a Christian you are now, and how much God has touched your life since then... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks...will try---it just happened that the new pair of step ins paved the way for my blog on superstitions--but I'll probably find time to share my experiences --which will be very very long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Hhmmm superstitions...when I was in grade school I had my first dose of superstitious informations from our house helps. I would be paralyzed with fear each and every time I hear of such sayings. Then when I grew older and found out that no "BAD LUCK" came after a black cat crossed my path or Friday the 13th came and went without any hitch...mind you it's been several Friday the 13th already in this lifetime of mine. The list could go on and on yet nothing really bad happened except maybe nerve racking wait for the dreadful BAD LUCK to manifest. I guess BAD LUCK for me means trials that we have to weather to prove our faithfulness to God. As I have found out later BAD LUCK is nothing but the hard time we go through and prayers and contemplation is the "anting-anting" answer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. True Carms..but bear in mind, that God will not give you trials you can't hurdle..provided you have the strong faith He will come to your rescue....and then of course, He does not waste your experiences in life!--

    ReplyDelete
  12. TRUE! TRUE! and I'm very fortunate to have joined this MULTIPLY network of good christians who share and inspire me daily. I don't have to mention names...you know who you are and God works thru you.

    Speaking of MULTIPLY...let me make you laugh or maybe frown at this encounter I've had with a MULTIPLY user. Imagine he sent me naked pictures of a man and women. I can't really say if its his naked body because he didn't show his face. even if he did show his face I wouldn't even know him from Adam. I blocked him from my site yet I see he is constant PEEPER into my site. Hhaayyy...I wish for him to use his HEAD above his SHOULDERS and not his HEAD below his BELT. As the saying goes " an idle mind is a devils playground" I don't judge him because maybe he needs counselling and some medications to go with it. PITTY!!!! ...you know who are and the choices are there for you to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, that's why we also have to be careful--cause there's always a lemon, or should we say, a "devil" is every site. I get invitations to be a buddy, but I decline if I see nothing good in their profile. Besides, I am not here to really keep on chatting and chatting endlessly without a purpose. My main purpose is to keep in touch with my Anne and the kids...and of course, to share my experiences and recipes (of course) with everyone interested.

    So---your aciton is good---block him! Peste iyon ano?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Malaking pest talaga ang mga ganyan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ta Carms,

    I-block mo yang tao na yan! Sick yang mga ganyan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne....blocked ko na siya! As my mother in-law used to say when untowards incidents come about..."POBRE ESPIRITU"

    ReplyDelete