Welcome to Emerald's Homepage
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Watching "The American Idol"

There is only one reality show I enjoy watching twice a week--The American Idol.  I watch it because I enjoy laughing at out-of-tune looneys who think they can sing (during the auditions) and as the search moves on to the more serious count offs -I join in my co-workers guessing as to which hopeful  will the fountain bless?


This season's batch are all good - except - like anyone else, I have my own preferences, and, conversely, dislike viewing some f the hopefuls - the females most especially. Yes, they can all sing, but their attires I find too distracting (or are they doing this on purpose to show off their "assets?" .  But of course, they should be voted based on how they sound with a  Iittle combination of how they project on screen.  And I have read AOL blogs on the current batch, and some writers/readers agree with my observation! 


Rick (my husband)  was (still is) a singer,(he took up voice and music lessons)  both as part of a band, and as a soloist.  He is a tenor and used to perform solo at weddings, and with a group called the "Barbershop Quartet" in different gigs and in Disneyland, CA.  And since he can sing, I cajoled him to join me in watching this show...at first, he said no, then later on - watched with me.  While a performer sings, he naturally knows when the person goes, flat, or sharp, or can't hold his/her breath to sustain a line...and always, he is right in tune with the 3 judges.  We both agree that Paula Abdul is too kind a judge.  More often, no matter how unpleasant a performer sang, she will compliment the attire---the makeup, etc....and I am always tempted to write her and say: come on---judge their renditions and voices - not only the way they looked that night!  I prefer Simon Cowell's judging---straight to the point - shooting from the hip!


The finalists are down to 5.  I  hope that the remaining 3 will be a toss up among Elliott, Chris or Taylor.  The other 2 females remaining are too conscious of themselves---Let's have another Clay Aiken again this time, please!

6 comments:

  1. lol Chris is fantastic..but elliot and taylor???? NO WAY! I also have sung for years and I compose my own music so I am also a reliable judge :) taylor is too *swingY*..without his moves he is a total loss ( you cannot see moves on a cd)..elliot does not have what it takes..no charisma and his voice is not that good... now chris...He is a lad that will make it big time :):) He has it all!!
    Judiline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone has an opinion on the american idol :) thankfully, Simon is a countryman :) (UK) Unfortunately, these people are judged by the citizens..not for voice but who has the most personality...among other things...some of the singers who were taken off so soon were a lot better than the some who are still on...Myself..I think Kathryn is the most versatile :)
    Judiline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma, we also watch American Idol over here...and we enjoy not only the singing but also the judging styles of the 3 as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also enjoy watching Idol. I may miss this week, but I'll see what happens later. I also like Kathryn. Taylor is fun to watch though. Have a good Sunday. Regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, Taylor seems "stiff" in his moves but they say he has the most charisma. And Eliott, inspite of being deaf on one ear---he can really belt!!

    I also like Chris - he has the personality and the voice, but I think it will be a tough one among the males. I can't wait to see who will be the 5th season's idol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judiline,

    I hope you get this response--I am not sure if my response got to you---yes, I like Chris too...Elliott is deaf on one ear but I admire his voice!

    Happy watching!

    ReplyDelete