Welcome to Emerald's Homepage
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Curried Mussels (Tahong) in Coconut Milk and Lemon Grass


Description:
For seafood lovers, try this delicious and easy-to-do mussel recipe.
The lemon grass (tanglad) is optional but it makes the dish smell good!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 tsp finely minced garlic
1 tbsp curry powder
1 stalk lemongrass trimmed and cut into 4 pieces...each smashed using
a big kitchen knife
3 pounds or approximately 1-1/2 kilos of mussels, scrubbed and cleaned,
washed and rinsed.
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup dry white wine of any brand (you may skip this if you wish)
1/4 tsp ground pepper (freshly ground is best)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
1 lime, cut into wedges


Directions:
-Melt butter in a 5- to 6 qt pot over medium heat.
-Add the shallot and cook for 1 minute until softened
-Stir in the curry powder, coconut milk and lemongrass
-Cook for 3 minutes
-Add the mussels and stir well.
-Turn up the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil
-Reduce the heat slightly, cover and cook for 4 to 6 minutes more or
until the mussels open. (Discard mussels that do not open)
-Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels as they open into a bowl.
-Season with salt and pepper.
-Sprinkle with jalapeno and serve with lime wedges on the side.

15 comments:

  1. We love this! (Yani and I, that is...) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...I know...next time you are here...I will serve this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome..I posted this a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've noticed the date, but when I saw again a while ago...naglaway nanaman ako and thought of buying tahong for lunch...Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kami din! Hahaha!

    Sarapppppp!!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lita;-)
    I'll remember to try this the next time I buy tahong, I haven't tried it yet with coconut. This must be very delicious because of the coconut. But how much coconut milk I should add? I noticed it's not listed in the ingredients.I guess it depends how soupy it needs to be for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie...coco milk tends to dry up as the milk gets to be sipped up by the mussels...if your family likes coco sauce so much (like my kids do)...make this with 2 coco cans (choose the thick kind, I just forget the brand that I use now - but it's colored blue can)...and if not, just one will do. Masarap ito talaga...Angie! Then enjoy your labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks Lita, I'll look for the blue can, the thick kind and 'love it very much so I'll need two cans ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can find malunggay leaves (frozen) or spinach...samahan mo ...and it makes the dish even better! And you can add hot peppers too if you prefer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lita, once in a while I seen malunggay over here...fresh. Yes, I cook it with spinach before, the one w/o the gata.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ma, Yani and I just cooked Baked Tahong a couple of weeks ago. Nagpabili siya sa Farmer's ng 3 kilos, hahaha! Kami lang ang umubos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Ang sarap!!!! Looking forward to meeting you in person, Tita!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ann, same here...either you come to NJ, or when we visit Manila next time, I will make sure we get to meet in person....both lovers of food!

    ReplyDelete